Tim O’Brien joined CID in 2015 and has worked on both Growth Lab and Building State Capability projects.
He has led growth diagnostic research in Albania, Ethiopia, Jordan, and Sri Lanka.
Tim holds a Master in Public Administration in International Development (MPA/ID) degree from the Harvard Kennedy School and a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Northwestern University.
Tim served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Malawi from 2008-2010 and has experience working with the World Bank and in environmental engineering.
Tim’s research interests center on the challenges of economic transformation and adapting to climate change in developing countries and vulnerable communities.
|Current Research/Projects||Areas of Expertise|
|Advancing Economic Diversification in Ethiopia||Growth Diagnostics|
|Institutional Strengthening/Economic Diversification in Albania||Economic Complexity|
|Macroeconomic Stability & Long-Term Growth in Jordan||Place-Based Industrial Policy|
|Realizing Economic Growth in Western Australia||Agriculture Policy|
|Climate Change Adaptation|
- Hausmann, R., Goldstein, P., Grisanti, A., O'Brien, T., Tapia, J., & Santos, M.A., 2019. A Roadmap for Investment Promotion and Export Diversification: The Case of Jordan, Center for International Development at Harvard University Faculty Working Paper Series No. 374.
- Kasoolu, S., Hausmann, R., O'Brien, T., Santos, M.A., 2019. Female Labor in Jordan: A Systematic Approach to the Exclusion Puzzle, Center for International Development at Harvard University Faculty Working Paper Series No. 365.
- Hausmann, R., O'Brien, T., Santos, M.A., Grisanti, A., Kasoolu, S., Taniparti, N., Tapia, J., & Villasmil, R., 2019. Jordan: The Elements of a Growth Strategy, Center for International Development at Harvard University Faculty Working Paper Series No. 346.
- 2018. Sri Lanka Growth Diagnostic, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- O'Brien, T., Nedelkoska, L. & Frasheri, E., 2017. What is the Binding Constraint to Growth in Albania?, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- We recently ran a PDIA course on climate change adaptation. Why? Building State Capability Blog (2018).
- PDIA and Climate Change Adaptation. Building State Capability Blog (2018).
- Solar Radiation Management Can Only Work if it Works for the Poor. Angle Journal (2015).
79 JFK Street
Cambridge, MA 02138